The establishment of the Joint CFTC-SEC Advisory Committee on Emerging Regulatory Issues was one of the 20 recommendations included in the agencies’ harmonization report issued last year.
The joint committee will develop recommendations on emerging and ongoing issues relating to both agencies.
The Committee’s charter provides for a broad scope of interest, including:
1. Identifying of emerging regulatory risks;
2. Assessing and quantifying of the impact of such risks and their implications for investors and market participants; and
3. Furthering the CFTC’s and SEC’s efforts on regulatory harmonization.
Chairman Gensler and Chairman Schapiro will serve as co-chairs of the Joint Committee.
Members of the Joint Committee include (additional members will join in the coming days):
• Maureen O’Hara, Professor of Management, Professor of Finance, Cornell University
• Brooksley Born, Former Chair of the CFTC
• David Ruder, Former Chair of the SEC
• Jack Brennan, Former Chief Executive Officer and Chairman, Vanguard
• Robert F. Engle, Michael Armellino Professor of Finance at the NYU Stern School of Business
• Richard Ketchum, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, FINRA
• Susan Phillips, Dean and Professor of Finance, The George Washington University School of Business